Burning a Hole in My Pocket

Burning a Hole in My Pocket

I’m talking about the cash I have sitting here that I desperately want to get into the market. Earlier this year, I got a chunk of money from selling a house. I have no desire to own another home (that’s a story for another time.) Instead, I used some of the money to pay off some debt. The rest is just sitting in my savings account earning absolutely nothing.

That’s a nightmare for someone that preaches the power of collecting an above average yield on your investments. Yield is how we measure the horsepower of our money using an annualized percentage so we can compare different types of opportunities. Right now, my money is akin to a car sitting up on bricks.

It’s not for lack of trying.

I’ve been running my stock screeners weekly… and some weeks daily. My watchlist keeps growing at an alarming rate, but I can always seem to poke holes in my argument. And if I find something I do like, the current price just seems too high.

The good news is that I think the time I’ve been waiting for is just around the corner.

The Trickle Through

Unless you’ve been living under a rock or in a glorious tech-free retreat, you probably know that the FOMC hiked the fed funds rate last week. They had been on a pause since late last year. Doubt was spreading that the Fed would step in to get us back to its 2% inflation goal.

Now the pendulum has swung in the other direction.

Chairman Warsh, of course, ignored specific questions about more hikes through the end of the year. But the dot plot shows us that the committee is eyeing at least one more, potentially two.

When rates go up, generally stocks should go down.

Higher borrowing costs mean businesses have to pay more to service their debt as much of it is floating with a floor. Even if their current rate remains unchanged, new debt will certainly be at a higher rate which can slow down expansion plans. Future valuations should be readjusted and discounted accordingly.

Then there’s also the fact that higher bond yields can coerce some people to pull their money from stocks and put it into bonds. Treasury ETFs and Fixed Income ETFs saw substantial inflows of about $9 billion last week… while US equity ETFs saw net outflows of about $1.1 billion.

So, only half of my expectations are coming true. Investors are looking towards bonds, but they are not exiting the stock market at the same rate. The S&P 500 is still chugging higher, almost back to its 52-week high. Our opportunity is coming, but not overnight.

See more: A Practical Take on Longevity for Advisors & Clients